Growing up, Mum would make Devils on Horseback for parties. I hated them! I thought “What could you possibly like about a prune wrapped in bacon?”. These days it’s a different story. What can you not like about a prune wrapped in bacon? I could easily sit down and eat a dozen of these tasty little beauties.
If you do not like prunes, dates can be substituted for a sweeter taste.
These are great little savory nibbles for a party, as they can be assembled the night before and refrigerated until you are ready to cook them.
- 1 package (9 oz) prunes
- 12 oz bacon
- tabasco sauce to taste
- Line a baking tray with aluminum foil. Preheat the broiler on high.
- Cut bacon into halves or thirds, depending on the size of the bacon. The bacon needs to be long enough to wrap around the prune with some overlap.
- Wrap one slice bacon around a prune, and secure with a toothpick.
- Broil for 10 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Remove and drain on paper towel.
- If desired, sprinkle some tabasco sauce over the devils on horseback.