I’m in denial. It’s October, and I should be making pumpkin bread, pumpkin latte, apple pies and all things Autumn. But today I wanted to make Coconut Cupcakes. And once the craving started, no amount of seasonal sense could change my mind. So I’m having a little slice of summer again. Or should I say cupcake of summer.
This recipe comes from my favorite cookbook Williams Sonoma Kids Baking
It was published in 2003 – I must have picked it up when I wanted to do some cooking with my now 12 year old. It’s a purchase that I have never regretted. These are always a hit with my kids, although I have to skip the coconut on top for my youngest.
Maybe I could claim these as winter themed food? They do sort of look like they could be covered in snow. Maybe I’m being forward thinking! Who am I kidding? It’s just the call of the coconut.
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup coconut, sweetened and shredded
- 3/4 cup butter, at room temperature
- 3 1/4 cups confectioner's sugar
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups coconut, sweetened and shredded
- Preheat the oven to 375° F and line a muffin tin with paper liners.
- Combine the flour, baking powder and salt together in a medium sized mixing bowl.
- In a standing mixer, beat the butter and sugar together until creamy, about 3 minutes.
- Add the vanilla extract and beat to combine.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating until combined.
- Add half the flour mixture and the yogurt, then beat on a low speed until blended.
- Add the rest of the flour and the coconut, and beat until just blended.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin cups.
- Bake in the oven for about 25 minutes, or until a toothpick, inserted into the middle of the cupcake, comes out clean.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool in the muffin tin for about 10 minutes, before removing to cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a medium bowl, beat together the butter, confectioner's sugar, cream, vanilla extract and salt until smooth and creamy, about 3-4 minutes.
- Pour the coconut into a small, shallow bowl.
- Frost the tops of each cupcake, mounding the frosting in the center. Tip the cupcake upside down into the coconut and lightly roll the cupcake to cover all the frosting.