I had these roasted vegetable and cheese quesadillas for lunch yesterday, and they were good!
I’m one of those people who get stuck in a rut with lunches. I hate to admit it, but I’d be happy eating a Roast Beef and Cheese sandwich every day. Forever. I’ll sometimes have a salad with that, but a piece of fruit will do on a busy day. Lunches are often a rushed meal in my house. I have a preschooler who gets home at lunch time wants to be fed now. I’ve got things that have to be done and I’m hungry too, so I often fall back to the old familiar sandwich. But I have challenged myself to do something different every now and then.
These roasted vegetable and cheese quesadillas were a great solution for my schedule. I was able to broil the vegetables while I was making the little one’s lunch. Once he had his mouth full, I pulled together the quesadilla.
I used Mission Artisan Style Flaxseed & Blue Corn Blend Tortillas, but any type will work. This quesadilla was wonderful dipped in salsa and cream cheese.
Maybe I have a new lunch rut I could get stuck in? No, no, no! I must try something new!
- 4 tortillas (8 inch)
- 1 zucchini, thinly sliced
- 2 small white mushrooms (or other of choice)
- 1/2 bell pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoon prepared salsa
- 4 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- Salsa for dipping (optional)
- Sour Cream for dipping (optional)
- Preheat the broiler on high. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Spread the zucchini, bell peppers and mushrooms in a single layer on the baking sheet. Lightly spray the vegetables with cooking spray.
- Broil the vegetables for about 6 minutes or until the zucchini is starting to turn brown. Turn once or twice during the broiling.
- Cover two of the tortillas with the salsa. Sprinkle 1/2 the Parmesan cheese and 1/2 the parsley on each tortilla. Divide the roasted vegetables between the two tortillas. Cover the tortillas with the remaining tortillas.
- Spray a large skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Over a medium heat, place one tortilla in the skillet and cook until the cheese starts to melt - about 2-3 minutes. The underside of the tortilla should be starting to turn golden brown. Flip the tortilla over and cook until the tortilla is crisp and golden brown - about 1-2 minutes.
- Keep the first tortilla warm while you cook the second.
- Serve with salsa and sour cream.