Last night, the love of my life mentioned that he would love an Irish coffee. I have to stop right here: I am neither a coffee drinker nor a big spirits drinker. When it comes to drinks – I like water, milk and orange juice. Oh – and vanilla milk. Boring? You bet.
But I rose to the challenge.
Coffee snobs – turn away now. I’ve made this drink from instant coffee! My love appreciates a great cup of brewed coffee but is also quite content with an instant coffee. As a result we only have instant coffee at home, so this what I had to work with. I hear a rumor though, that this is how many of the Irish make theirs!
After looking at a few recipes, he told me that a perfect Irish Coffee, for him, is minty but not chocolaty. It has black coffee at the bottom and cream on top. I didn’t find any recipes that matched his desires, but surely I could do that!
So here is my version of Irish Coffee – made just the way my love likes it. It has Jameson Irish Whiskey, Peppermint Schnapps, Instant Coffee, Brown Sugar and Whipped Cream.
Irish Coffee is my love’s go-to drink after a long day while travelling for work. It looks like now it could be the perfect drink after any hard day.
- 1.5 fluid ounces Jameson Irish Whiskey
- 0.5 fluid ounces Peppermint Schnapps
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 fluid ounce boiling water
- boiling water
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- Warm a coffee cup, by filling it with boiling water. Empty the water from the cup.
- Measure the Irish whiskey and peppermint schnapps, then pour into the heated glass.
- In a separate cup, mix 1 fluid ounce of boiling water with the coffee and sugar. Stir until dissolved.
- Add the coffee to the heated glass.
- Fill the rest of the heated glass with boiling water, leaving enough space for the cream. Do not stir.
- Whip the cream until soft peaks form - about 1 minute.
- Fill the rest of the coffee cup with the whipped cream.
Mel Walsh says
While I detest (or I could even say hate with a passion!) both coffee and alcohol, this photo could almost convince me to have a taste. You have a real talent for photography Werona! Your pictures are amazing. My mouth waters with each one (yes even with the ones I know my taste buds would not enjoy).
I actually did try it – and I discovered that I still don’t like coffee 🙂 Ben’s has had it nearly every night since though!