Caprese Sandwiches are a delightful twist on the Italian favorite: Caprese Salad. I love the tomato, mozzarella and basil blend of a Caprese salad, and I love bread so it is no wonder that this Caprese Sandwich is one of my favorite sandwiches – coming in close behind a Roast Beef and Cheese Sandwich.
Apparently this salad was designed to mimic the colors of the Italian flag, so I think I can be excused putting this on a Ciabatta bread roll as it’s keeping in theme with the “white” of the flag.
My only deviation to a traditional caprese salad (apart from the bread, of course!) is that I have used balsamic vinegar. I adore dipping a good quality bread into oil and vinegar, so I thought why not do that on this sandwich! The results was just as I hoped – not too strong but definitely a taste of balsamic vinegar.
I brushed the bread with the balsamic vinegar and oil, instead of using butter. I also put a little on the outside of the roll too, just to help get that lovely browned outside. Fill the middle with tomato, mozzarella and basil, then toast in a Panini grill and you have a delightful cheesy sandwich.
It reminds me of the cheese and tomato sandwiches my mother used to make when I was a child, with just a bit more bite!
- 1 ciabatta bread roll
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 3-4 slices tomato
- 2-3 slices mozzarella cheese
- 1-2 leaves basil, chopped
- In a small bowl, combine the olive oil and vinegar.
- Using a pastry brush, brush the olive oil and vinegar over the top and inside the bread roll.
- Layer the tomato, cheese and basil inside the bread roll.
- Grill the bread roll in a Panini grill for 3-4 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Serve immediately.