If you love coconut and oatmeal, you are going to love this breakfast! About a month ago I decided that I was no longer going to buy packaged cereal for myself. As a result, eggs and oatmeal have been featuring heavily on my personal breakfast menu lately. This Maple Syrup and Coconut Oatmeal is quickly becoming a favorite of mine. From the first moment I tasted this, I knew it was going to be a repeated meal.
Instead of cooking this oatmeal in water, I switched the liquid to coconut milk. That helped the oatmeal absorb that lovely coconut flavor. I also added some shredded coconut to strengthen the flavor. Right before serving, I sweeten the oatmeal with maple syrup. I have experimented with other sweeteners but this was my favorite. If you prefer, you could use brown sugar, stevia or another sweetener of your choosing.
Have I ever mentioned that coconut is one of my favorite flavors? I’m sure you would never have guessed. This breakfast has reminded me that I need to share my Coconut Cream Pie with you!
This recipe serves 2. I usually eat it with coconut flakes on top, but it also tastes great with berries and nuts.
- 1 can coconut milk (14oz)
- 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- coconut flakes (optional)
- In a medium sized saucepan, bring the coconut milk to a boil.
- Add the old fashioned rolled oats and shredded coconut, reduce the heat, and cook for 10 minutes. Stir occasionally. (If you are using a different kind of oats, please follow the cooking directions on the package).
- When the oatmeal is cooked, add the maple syrup and stir until it is well combined with the oatmeal.
- Serve hot, with coconut flakes on top.
If you like oatmeal, you might like to check out my Creamy Banana Oatmeal